Dental implants are often the popular treatment option for those missing one or two teeth. Most people do not know that dental implants are also an option for those missing an entire arch or row of teeth. Dr. Bradley Dean performs the surgical phase for all types of dental implants Plano, TX.
Dr. Dean will work together with your dentist to ensure you receive consistent care. While some dentists do perform the dental implants placement procedure, Dr. Dean believes that having this part of your treatment performed by a specialist can help put your mind at ease and lead to great success.
Dr. Dean is a periodontist with the advanced training and experience needed to place dental implants, including All-on-4 dental implants for securing top or bottom dentures. People who have been struggling with poor fitting dentures should also consider dental implants. When considering your options, please weigh the pros and cons of both dentures and dental implants.
What are dentures?
Dentures are false teeth and traditionally the only option for people missing most or all of their teeth. They are made in a dental lab with impressions of your mouth. Dentures are made up of a base that is typically made of acrylic resin and metal that will rest on your gums.
The teeth portion are attached to the base and typically made of plastic or porcelain but can differ depending on quality, color and size. The only real pros to choosing dentures are the cost and time to complete them. Dentures cost significantly less than dental implants in the beginning and they will ready for you in about 3-6 weeks. There are however many cons to choosing dentures.
- People will notice they are false teeth due to them being bulky.
- Depending on the type of denture you need, it may take up a lot of space in your mouth.
- Dentures require adhesive to stay in place in your mouth.
- Caring for and wearing dentures will take some time to get used to.
- Dentures can slip around in your mouth making talking and eating difficult.
- Dentures will deliver about a 30-40% normal chewing function.
- Without a tooth root in your jawbone, the bone will begin to diminish. This means your dentures will need rebased as your jawbone diminishes and the fit changes.
- Dentures require periodic maintenance.
- Dentures do not even compare to fully functioning, natural teeth that are anchored to your jawbone.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant actually refers to a titanium screw-like post that is surgically implanted into your jawbone just below the gum line. This post is designed to fuse with your jawbone creating a permanent substitute tooth root. When an entire arch of teeth is missing, Dr. Dean will implant as few as four strategically placed dental implants at his Plano, TX dentist office.
These implants will secure a cosmetic denture. There are a few cons to implant dentures, which include cost and time to complete. Dental implants involve a surgical procedure which will require time to heal. This makes it a lengthy and expensive process. But the pros to choosing dental implants are extensive especially when compared to dentures.
- Your overall quality of life is much greater.
- Dental implants are secure since they are surgically implanted. They will not slip or wiggle in your mouth.
- The presence of the implant in your jawbone will prevent bone deterioration.
- Dental implants are not bulky and will give you a natural appearance and smile.
- Fixed denture implants will deliver a 100% normal chewing function because they are surgically implanted and sturdy.
- Dental implants offer patients over a 95% success rate.
- Dental implants are comfortable and feel just like your natural teeth.
- With proper care and regular visit to your dentist, your dental implants can last a lifetime.
Learn More About Dental Implants
- What Are Dental Implants?
- Dental Implants Process
- Dental Implants FAQ
- Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental Implant Cost
- Types of Dental Implants
- Zygoma Dental Implants
- Implant Dentures
- Single Dental Implants
- Dental Implants for Multiple Missing Teeth
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation Today
If you are considering dental implants in the Dallas, TX and Plano, TX areas, contact the office of Dr. D. Bradley Dean today. Schedule a consultation to see how dental implants can transform your life. Whether you’re missing one or several teeth, dental implants are the best solution.