Our periodontist office near Dallas, TX offers a variety of sedation dentistry options for patients who may suffer from dental anxiety and for patients undergoing any complex dental procedure like dental implants. It is important to us that patients feel relaxed and comfortable during their dental procedure, which why we offer sedation options like IV Sedation. IV Sedation dentistry allows patients to not feel or remember anything from the treatment.
IV Sedation Dentistry, also known as Deep Conscious Sedation, is a specialized service that Dr. Bradley Dean is qualified to offer. IV Sedation Dentistry can only be offered by dentists and oral surgeons who have completed training and received certification in IV sedation.
Benefits of IV Sedation Dentistry
- IV sedation dentistry is more effective because it is administered directly into your blood stream. Dr. Dean will have more control over the level of sedation.
- The effects of IV sedation will wear off faster allowing for a faster recovery with fewer side effects compared to oral sedation.
- When using oral sedation dentistry, you must be accompanied by someone to your appointment because the sedative needs to be taken at least an hour before the procedure. You will not be capable of driving to your appointment if you choose this option. With IV sedation, you can take yourself to your appointment because the effects set in faster and wear off faster. (Note: both options require a ride home after appointment)
- It’s the most powerful sedation dentistry option.
- IV sedation has an amnesic effect so patients will remember little, if anything, from the treatment.
- IV sedation allows for more dental work to be completed in fewer visits.
- It allows for expert treatment administered by Dr. Dean, a certified Dallas, TX dentist.
How IV Sedation Dentistry Works
IV sedation is only performed in facilities with a specially licensed dentist like Dallas, TX dentist, Dr. Dean. To ensure the health of our patients, we monitor vital signs throughout the procedure just in case any adjustments need to be made. Depending on a number of different factors, we will alter the dosage to ensure your safety and that you are relaxed during the entire procedure.
IV sedation will be administered directly into the bloodstream, causing patients to feel the effects very quickly. Patients will feel like they are in a deep sleep and usually won’t remember anything about their procedure. It is important to have a ride home after any appointment where IV sedation is administered.
Is IV Sedation Dentistry Right for Me?
Dr. Dean will perform a complete evaluation and review of your medical history prior to recommending IV sedation dentistry. The treatment is safe and effective for most healthy adults (and even some children). Contraindications include:
- Allergies to specific medications (such as benzodiazepines, barbiturate, etc.)
- Alcohol intoxication
- Heart conditions
- Central Nervous System (CNS) depression